Sunday, April 19, 2020

Uncontrollable Laughter: The Emperor’s New Groove Humor With the Twin

My twin brother, Clay, recently came home from Nashville, where he goes to school at Vanderbilt University, to stay the remainder of the “self-quarantine” time at home. He was actually exposed to coronavirus around 4 weeks ago from one of his friends who traveled to Barcelona for spring break. He self-quarantined for 2 weeks, and thank God he’s okay and doing well. Anyways, getting to the main point now…on his first night back last Sunday, we decided to watch one of our favorite childhood movies, The Emperor’s New Groove. We were reminded of how good the film is and how funny it is! I mean, Kronk is one of the most underrated comic characters of all time in my opinion. Okay, I’m getting off track again. There’s this one scene where Kronk and Yzma are talking about poisoning Kuzco before inviting him to dinner—Kronk says, “Oh right. The poison…the poison for Kuzco, the poison chosen specifically to kill Kuzco, Kuzco’s poison. Right?” and Yzma says, “Yes! That poison” to which Kronk says, “Gotcha covered.” My brother and I looked at each other and just died laughing. We had to pause the movie because we couldn’t stop laughing. Sometimes, you forget things from your past that used to give you so much joy, and I forgot about this movie. We just sat there laughing for what seemed like forever, and we finally got ourselves together and finished the movie. It’s no wonder Kronk got his own movie, Kronk’s New Groove, because his character is just full of comedy, humor, and love. After laughing and finishing the movie, it felt as though all my cares and anxieties about everything just floated away. It’s amazing how a good movie can do that. It was nice to just be with my brother and laugh after so many months of being apart. We have a very strong bond, and it’s hard to be away from him during the year. It made me reflect on how this whole situation brought my family together again since both me and my brother are in separate cities during the school year. It’s nice to have time with my family during this time, something that I probably wouldn’t have had if coronavirus hadn’t struck the world. During this time, I’m reminded of how precious time is with family, and I’m blessed that I get to laugh and relax with the three people I love most in the world…and I can’t forget about the cats, of course!

P.S. My brother came upon this Tweet the other day and sent it to me, and it also made me die hard laugh. If you've seen The Emperor's New Groove, then you'll (probably) understand the Tweet. I thought I would bestow this gift to everyone ;-) 


1 comment:

  1. What a sweet moment for you to share with your brother. Its so important to be thankful for those little moments that we normally wouldn't have with our family right now. Also, this is a great movie and I absolutely agree that the comedy is underrated.

    ReplyDelete

The Top 5 Things I’ve Learned This Semester

I’ve learned so much during the course of this semester. I’ve learned various important things about humor, comedy, and laughter from Mor...