Saturday, April 11, 2020

My Favorite Childhood Cartoon Character

Growing up, I absolutely LOVED SpongeBob, and when I say loved, I mean I was obsessed. There’s just something about the dynamic between SpongeBob and Patrick that just can’t be described or matched. I’d argue that “SpongeBob SquarePants” is the greatest cartoon ever. If you tell me that you don’t crack up every time the “Sweet Victory” episode comes on the screen, then you’re lying. It might be embarrassing to say, but I admit that even as a 22-year-old, I still love watching the series. However, even though I love SpongeBob dearly, my favorite cartoon character has to be Patrick Star. Yes, he may be intellectually limited, but he has a heart of gold, and I love how he adds humor to every situation. One of my favorite lines comes from Patrick during a scene in the Krusty Krab when he works the phone lines—“Hi, is this the Krusty Krab? No, this is Patrick.” It makes me belly laugh EVERY SINGLE TIME. How about his iconic line, “Is mayonnaise an instrument?” Where does he get this stuff? It’s just genius! You KNOW I can’t forget about ‘Sexy Patrick’ in fishnets and thigh-high black boots—I mean that’s just iconic. 

Even though the show is named after his BFF SpongeBob, let’s be real: Patrick is the real “star” both figuratively and literally. He’s goofy, loyal, good-natured, bumbling, and he steals the show and my heart along with it. Agree with me or don’t, but there will always be a starfish-shaped stamp on my heart.


4 comments:

  1. My mom didn't let me watch too much SpongeBob, but I always enjoyed it when I was able to sneak away and watch it. I gotta say I totally agree with you that Patrick is the true "star" of the show. Definitely my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kelley. My parents always used to tell me Spongebob was stupid and pointless, but I always found it entertaining, and that in itself is a point. On top of that, Patrick is an iconic name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you described Patrick as bumbling. I haven't considered that before, and I think you hit the nail on the head (remember that one episode when Patrick accidentally hits the board into his forehead? Did that happen?) Fishnets Patrick is truly iconic as well. You bring up very good points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! A Starfish-shaped stamp on your heart. I cannot necessarily go to that extreme, but I definitely enjoyed Spongebob while growing up. Sadly, we no longer have Nickelodeon at my house, so I have not seen the characters in a while. Maybe I will go check out some Patrick clips on YouTube! In terms of comedy, Patrick is definitely the most funny character on the show in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

The Top 5 Things I’ve Learned This Semester

I’ve learned so much during the course of this semester. I’ve learned various important things about humor, comedy, and laughter from Mor...